In considering different areas for moving and starting a new job, there are many aspects to look at. Many people consider weather, cost of living, and access to important activities. For those considering jobs in the service sector, it is also necessary to look into population changes.
Even more attractive than the lack of winter or the affordable housing in Texas is the continued population growth they have experienced and maintain today. According to the U.S. Census Bureau, from 2010-2012 the state of Texas has seen their population go up by 3.6%, when the U.S. as a whole saw population go up only 1.7%. That represents over 900,000 more people than they had just 2 years ago.
The continued inflow of citizens to the state will certainly increase their demands for most service-related products, and healthcare is one of the most important services that exist. At the same time, Texas also has a very favorable education system for its residents, which could be just the right combination to combine a relocation with an education into a new field, like healthcare.
Texas Master’s Degree in Healthcare Administration
- Texas State University at San Marcos – Masters of Healthcare Administration – This program offers full or part time options for students interested in advanced educational opportunities in healthcare administration. The main target of this program is to prepare students for middle to senior level management within healthcare organizations.
- University of Texas at Arlington – Master of Science in Health Care Administration – Seeking to train and educate for planning, organizing and supervising all components of healthcare service. The program uses cohorts, providing ample opportunities to work with other professionals and gain essential interpersonal experiences for problem solving.
- Baylor University – MBA with Specialization in Healthcare Administration – A required seven month paid residency is a unique aspect of this particular program. This gives students the opportunity to learn directly from those working the kinds of positions they are hoping to get when they complete their education.
- Texas A&M Health Science Center – Master of Health Administration – By creating a curriculum based on integrity and sound ethical practices, this school prepares students to make positive impacts and changes on the healthcare facility within they operate. The special focus on healthcare provides necessary fundamental understanding of the particular parameters of the health care sector that they need to work within.
Medical and Health Services Manager Employment in Texas
Employment for these positions looks to be expected to grow over the next several years. According to the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, these jobs are forecasted to see 22% growth nationally from 2010-2020. Where average occupations expect 14% growth over the same time period, other management occupations are much lower at only 7%.
Their occupational employment statistics also detail the numbers of people working at different positions on a state-by-state basis. Of the roughly 850,000 people working in healthcare within the state, those are broken into the following categories:
- 17,850 Medical and Health Services Management
- 567,220 Healthcare Practitioners and Technical Occupations
- 270,190 Healthcare Support Occupations
This large number of working professionals indicates a strength in the demand for healthcare services in the state of Texas as a whole. With strong projected growth for the positions of medical and health services management and a growing population in the state, Texas seems like a very strong choice to consider.
Employers of Healthcare Administration Professionals
Houston Methodist Hospital
- Address: 6565 Fannin Street, Houston TX 77030-2707
- Telephone: (713) 790-3311
This hospital is part of the Methodist Hospital network with locations elsewhere in Texas. They are regularly ranked nationally in many of their primary hospital functions. This location contains 884 beds.
At Home Healthcare
- Address: Locations through much of Texas
- Telephone: (877) MY-NURSE
This company provides healthcare services for clients in 64 of the Texas counties. They operate out of 15 offices located throughout East and Northeast Texas. Each branch location must maintain a staff of healthcare professionals who are licensed, certified, trained, and bonded. Coordination of these personnel issues and the physicians of each of the clients requires a lot of communication and contact.
University Hospital at San Antonio
- Address: 4502 Medical Drive, San Antonio TX 78229-4493
- Telephone: (210) 358-4000
This hospital located in San Antonio is part of the University Hospital network operating several other locations. This location contains 496 beds, as well as 5000 total employees and 700 resident physicians. The reputation for quality healthcare has earned this facility with many high rankings by US News & World Report, both regionally and nationally.
Grace Presbyterian Village
- Address: 550 E Ann Arbor Ave, Dallas TX 75216
- Telephone: (214) 376-1701
This senior living community provides a multitude of services to the aging population to allow them to live on their own and get increasing levels of care as their particular situation requires. This location is part of the Presbyterian Communities and Services, and operates in a faith-based culture.
Arizona Healthcare Scholarships, Fellowships & Grants
- Terry Foundation Transfer Scholarship – This scholarship applies to students applying to the school from another college or university where they have completed at least 30 transferrable credit hours. Applicants are also required to have graduated from a Texas high school or the equivalent.
- American College of Medical Practice Executives Harry J. Harwick Scholarship – Available to any students applying to a college or university for medical administration studies. The program must be from a list of elgible schools within the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME) guidelines.
- Columbia Healthcare Scholarship – The primary requirement for this scholarship is to be studying healthcare administration, to have a GPA of at least 3.0, and to have examples of demonstrating leadership. Financial need is not a factor in this scholarship.
- Healthcare Associates Scholarship – Service to University of Houston at Clear Lake is a requirement of this scholarship. Besides studying healthcare administration, the other factors are more conditional.
Fellowships & Grants
- Bobcat Promise – This need bases grant guarantees that children graduating from Texas high schools will be guaranteed at Texas State University. To qualify, the children must come from homes where the adjusted gross income is less than $25,000.
Additional Health Links for Texas
- Texas Department of State Health Services Mobile
- Texas Health and Human Services System
- Texas Health Data
- Texas Health and Human Services Commission (HHSC)
- The Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services: DADS
- Texas Department of Assistive and Rehabilitative Services (DARS)
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services (DFPS)
- Texas State Health Insurance Exchange Marketplace
- State Office of Rural Health (SORH) – Texas Department of Agriculture
- Texas Education Agency – Health Education