- Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University - Online Master of Health Administration (MHA)
- Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University - Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- George Mason University - Online Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Saint Josephs University - MS in Health Administration
Thanks to its year-round warm weather and tax-friendly environment, Florida has long been a retiree’s paradise. In fact, as of July 2019, nearly 21% of all residents in Florida were over the age of 65. Florida is also a draw for millions of other Americans, and recent statistics reveal that the population here may reach 26 million by 2030.
This high concentration of senior citizens and swiftly growing state population has also created the perfect environment for healthcare admin pros who are valued for their ability to balance cost and care within the state’s large, complex healthcare systems.
As a result, there has never been a greater need for top-level medical administrators, managers, and executives who have the skills and knowledge necessary to ensure these organizations remain efficient, cost-effective, and patient-centered.
Florida Master’s in Healthcare Administration
The Master’s in Healthcare Administration has become the gold standard among administrators and other high-level executives who help grow and manage health systems, hospitals, clinics, and physician’s offices within Florida’s healthcare system. Just some of these programs includes:
- University of Florida – Master of Health Administration – Offered within the College of Public Health and Health Professions, this degree features an interdisciplinary course of study designed to prepare graduates who have the skills to improve quality, affordability, and access to healthcare.
- University of South Florida – Master of Health Administration – This degree program prepares students to assume leadership positions in both the private and public sector, thanks to an interdisciplinary curriculum that highlights both public health and basic business disciplines within the context of health services.
- University of Central Florida – The Master of Health Administration – This program offers two tracks: Health Services Administration and the Executive Health Services Administration. The Health Services Administration track is offered through a blended delivery, while the Executive Health Services Administration track, which is designed for professionals with at least three years of experience, is offered completely online.
- Florida International University – Healthcare MBA – This program is offered as a fast-based cohort in an accelerated format that takes just 18 months to complete. Saturday-only classes are combined with online courses to create a flexible hybrid format for working adults.
Medical and Health Services Manager Employment in Florida
According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, medical and health services managers in Florida earned an average salary that flirted with six figures – $92,810, as of May 2019. Administrators and executives in the top 10% in this field—likely those with considerable experience and graduate-level degrees—were the biggest stars in this field, earning an average salary of $177,790 during this time.
Employers of Healthcare Administration Professionals in Florida
Some of the biggest names in Florida healthcare are also where the best professional opportunities for top-level administrators are found:
Baptist Health Care
- Address: 1000 West Moreno St, Pensacola, FL 32501-7500
- Telephone: (850) 434-4011
Besides being a highly regarded hospital system in the state of Florida, Baptist has long been recognized for its excellent employee training programs, which ensures more productive, satisfied workers.
- Address: 601 East Rollins St, Orlando, FL 32803
- Telephone: (407) 303-5600
AdventHealth is part of a large network of hospitals, urgent care centers, practices, labs, surgery centers, rehab centers, skilled nursing facilities, and more throughout Florida. More than 80,000 employees are part of this unified health system.
Orlando VA Medical Center
- Address: 5201 Raymond St, Orlando, FL 32803
- Telephone: (407) 629-1599
Florida has one of the largest populations of veterans in the nation, and its Orlando VA Medical Center serves more than 110,000 veterans in Central Florida. It’s recognized as one of the Top 100 Companies in Central Florida for working families and is one of seven medical centers that make up the VA Sunshine Healthcare Network.
Encompass Health Rehabilitation Hospital of Tallahassee
- Address: 1675 Riggins Rd, Tallahassee, FL 32308
- Telephone: (850) 656-4800
This inpatient rehabilitation hospital includes 76 beds and a variety of inpatient and outpatient services aimed at rehabilitation.
Florida Healthcare Scholarships, Fellowships & Grants
- Corris Boyd Scholarship – This scholarship was established to improve diversity support excellence in leadership through two, $40,00 for scholarships to minority students entering a graduate program in healthcare management.
- ACMPE Scholarship Fund – This 501c3 charitable organization was established to support growth and advancement in healthcare leadership. These scholarships are available only to those seeking administrative positions within healthcare.
- Foster G. McGaw Graduate Student Scholarship – Available to students in good standing and associates of the American College of Healthcare Executives. Students must be enrolled full time and spend at least one year of graduate studies in a healthcare administration program.
Fellowships & Grants
- Administrative Finance Fellowship Program at Tampa General Hospital – This top ranked fellowship is ranked number one in Florida. This fellow completes their degree through the University of South Florida while working shifts at Tampa General Hospital conducting administrative duties.
- Malcolm Randall Fellowship in Health Care Administration – Students entering a degree program specializing in hospital administration are eligible for this fellowship. This is part of the University of Florida Foundation and caters to University of Florida programs and studies.
- Stuart A Wesbury, Jr. Postgraduate Fellowship – These positions provide one-on-one exposure to senior executives. Applicants must have earned a graduate degree in healthcare management from an accredited college or university.
Additional Health Links for Florida
- Florida Department of Health
- State of Florida.com – Florida Health and Family Services
- Florida KidCare
- MyFlorida.com – Health
- Florida Department of Elder Affairs
- AARP Florida
- State Mental Health Planning Council of Florida
Salary and employment data compiled by the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics in May of 2019. Figures represent accumulated data for all employment sectors in which medical and health services managers work. BLS salary data represents average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries.
2019 job growth projections from the Georgia Department of Labor are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
All salary and employment data accessed June 2020.