- Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University - Online Master of Health Administration (MHA)
- Milken Institute School of Public Health at the George Washington University - Online Master of Public Health (MPH)
- George Mason University - Online Master of Health Administration in Health Systems Management
- Saint Josephs University - MS in Health Administration
In California, it’s all about larger and more complex health systems that can meet the demands of a population that’s inching toward 40 million. An aging population, an increased number of insured, and advancing technologies that are changing the way healthcare is delivered add to this unprecedented demand for healthcare services in the Golden State.
Massive healthcare systems like Cedars-Sinai Medical Center (more than 40 locations throughout Los Angeles) and Kaiser Permanente (39 hospitals and more than 217,000 employees) require top-level pros who can achieve a balance between cost-efficiency and patient care. It’s no small feat, but the rewards speak for themselves. Top salaries, fantastic professional opportunities, and the perks of living on the beautiful West Coast are all part of being a medical health administrator or executive in California.
But don’t expect to land one of these top positions without impressive credentials. California’s healthcare administrators in the upper echelon got where they are by bringing to the table loads of relevant experience and a graduate-level degree like the Master’s in Healthcare Administration.
California Master’s in Healthcare Administration
In a state as big and diverse as California, there are many options for pursuing a master’s degree in health administration. The following list provides several examples of those options.
- California State University at Long Beach – Master of Science in Health Care Administration – This acclaimed program features specialized courses in long-term care administration, hospital management, and medical group practice management and is led by a nationally recognized faculty of experts and top-level practitioners.
- University of Southern California – Executive Master of Health Administration – This program comes complete with a blend of on-campus and online courses and a reputation as one of the top programs in the country.
- National University – Master of Healthcare Administration – Students of this program gain valuable experience in project management, teamwork, and leadership through carefully planned internships.
- University of Southern California Price – Master of Health Administration – A 1,000-hour residency is part of this top-ranked program, which is taught by a renowned faculty of experts and plenty of opportunities to connect with the healthcare community.
Medical and Health Services Managers Employment in California
Coming in first in the nation for its number of medical and health services managers, California is home to no less than 36,490 of these professionals, according to 2019 stats from the California Economic Development Department. The Golden State is also ranked third in the nation for its average pay of healthcare administrators and executives – $133,040, as of 2019, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.
The top-paid professionals in healthcare administration in California (the top 10%) brought home an average pay of $207,610 during this period.
Healthcare Employment in California
Below is just a sampling of some of California’s major employers of medical administrators, managers, and executives:
California Hospital Medical Center
- Address: 1401 South Grand Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90015
- Telephone: (213) 748-2411
This downtown Los Angeles hospital is a 318-bed acute care facility that’s been recognized as a leader in California healthcare for more than 130 years. Just some of the facilities here that have earned it recognition for its innovation and community service include a Level II trauma center, a state-of-the-art catherization lab, a women’s birthing center, and a Level III neonatal intensive care unit.
- Address: 4001 J St, Sacramento, CA 95819
- Telephone: (916) 453-4545
Molina Healthcare is a Fortune 500 company that provides managed healthcare services through Medicaid and Medicare programs, as well as through state insurance marketplaces. Molina Healthcare serves more than 3.3 million members through locally operated health plans.
United Health Group
- Address: Sacramento, California
United Health Group is a major insurance provider in California, and it also provides healthcare services through UnitedHealthcare and OptumCare.
California Department of Health Care Services
- Address: Sacramento, California
This department operates as a part of the California state system and provides health services and care for many of the specialized divisions of the human services for citizens of the state, known as the Systems of Care Division. These include children’s services, genetically handicapped, disability prevention, care coordination management, foster children and 115 other programs.
California Healthcare Scholarships, Fellowships & Grants
There are plenty of resources to help offset the cost of earning a graduate degree in healthcare. Just a sampling of some of the scholarships, fellowships, and grants that may be available to you in California include:
- CalREACH Health Professions Education Foundation Scholarships – Scholarships are made available for a variety of studies within the healthcare field.
- Kaiser Permanente RN Scholarships – The Deloras Jones Scholarship Program offers scholarships, for need and for merit, for those pursuing graduate nursing and doctoral degrees.
- California Dream Act – These are bundles of scholarships that have been made available to California students interested in pursuing education within the California colleges and universities. This includes sources of state funded and non-state funded scholarships as well as grants and waivers for educational expenses.
Fellowships & Grants
- Environmental Public Health Laboratory Fellowship Program – This program is designed to give students experiences in actual scientific laboratories to prepare them for future careers in environmental public health. Their analysis focuses on prevention and control programs. It is a part of the Association of Public Health Laboratories.
- CalGrant – These grants are awarded to students of California high schools interested in attending a California Community College in the upcoming school year.
- Villers Fellowship for Health Care Justice – As a part of the mission of FamiliesUSA, this program aims to prepare future leaders for health care justice. The goal is to ensure that there is guaranteed high-quality affordable health care for everyone.
Additional Health Links for California
- California Department of Public Health
- California State Office of Rural Health
- EE and CAA Resources – The California Healthy Families Program
- Mental Health Links – California Board of Psychology
- California Mental Health Planning Council
- California Health Incentives Improvement Project
- California Association of Health Plans
Salary and employment data compiled by the United States Department of Labor’s Bureau of Labor Statistics in May of 2019. Figures represent accumulated data for all employment sectors in which medical and health services managers work. BLS salary data represents average and median earnings for the occupations listed and includes workers at all levels of education and experience. This data does not represent starting salaries.
2019 job growth projections from the California Economic Development Department are aggregated through the U.S. Department of Labor-Sponsored resource, Projections Central. Employment conditions in your area may vary.
All salary and employment data accessed June 2020.